Congress Has Work To Do Before Election!
Tell Congress to Finish Pro-Family Legislation
Members of Congress have returned from their summer recess, but there is still important work to be done and time is limited! Only four weeks remain before the Members will go back home for the November elections. The Senate is stalling on several pro-family bills that have been passed in the House.
Pro-Family Bills Pending in Senate
- Pledge Protection Act (H.R. 2389 / S. 1046) Removes jurisdiction of federal courts on the Pledge of Allegiance. The public overwhelmingly supports "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance. Nearly nine of ten Americans support acknowledging God as our source of rights and freedoms. Activist judges should not be allowed to construe our Constitution otherwise.
Status: passed by House on 7/19/06, needs Senate vote.
- Child Custody Protection Act (H.R. 748 / S. 403) Prohibits transportation of minor girls across state lines for an abortion to circumvent parental notification or consent laws. Senate Democrats continue to object to the procedural step to go to conference with the House to resolve differences on this bill, preventing it from finally becoming law.
Status: passed by House on 4/27/05 and by the Senate on 7/25/06, needs conference agreement.
- Internet Gambling Prohibition and Enforcement Act (H.R. 4411) Provides law enforcement and private parties with new enforcement tools that will prevent or interdict illegal Internet gambling transactions even when websites are operated outside of the US. The House has passed anti-gambling legislation three times and the Senate two times in the last eight years, but have never reconciled. It's time to get it signed into law!
Status: passed by House on 7/11/06, needs Senate vote.
- Federal Funding Accountability and Transparency Act (S. 2590 / H.R. 5060) Also known as the "Coburn-Sunshine Bill," it creates a searchable online database that the general public could use to track the flow of hundreds of billions of dollars in federal grant and contract disbursements. This tool would be an invaluable resource for American taxpayers to expose wasteful spending and it has wide support from both sides of the political spectrum.
Status: H.R.5060 passed the House on 6/21/06 by voice vote; S.2590 finally passed the Senate on 9/7/06 by unanimous consent, after several "secret holds" were released; needs conference agreement.
Senate Democrats continue to obstruct to common sense legislation supported overwhelmingly by the American people, such as the Child Custody Protection Act. Several other pieces of legislation, such as the Pledge Protection Act and the Internet Gambling Prohibition and Enforcement Act, are in need of attention by Senate Republican leadership. Your voice can help get the Senate moving!
- Call Senate Democrats and tell them to stop obstructing the CCPA
- Call Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist and tell him to bring up the Pledge bill and Internet Gambling bill for a vote!