February 25, 2013
Attention Alabama Friends:
As you might have read, Senator Richard Shelby announced last week that he will vote to confirm former Senator Chuck Hagel as Secretary of Defense. We need you to call his office and urge him not to rubber stamp this dangerous nominee!
Chuck Hagel will be America’s first anti-military Secretary of Defense. He has voted to weaken the U.S. military and believes in full-scale nuclear disarmament at a time when our enemies are moving full speed ahead in developing their nuclear capabilities. Instead of strengthening the U.S. military, he wants to enhance our cooperation with U.N. peacekeeping forces! This is naïve, dangerous and unacceptable, and Senator Shelby should be protecting our national security and taking a stand against Hagel.
Shelby has declared that Hagel is “the best we are going to get” after President Obama’s re-election last November. This is simply not true. Current Secretary of Defense, Leon Panetta is a far less dangerous choice for Secretary of Defense, and there are plenty of other candidates that might not be conservatives’ first choice but would be much more acceptable. Panetta has intensely fought efforts to cut our military, Hagel has advocated for such cuts. Panetta stated that he would remain in his post until a new Secretary is confirmed, so there is no rush to fill this vital position.
Bad nominees are only inevitable if Senators refuse to take a stand against them. Please tell Senator Shelby our national security is at stake, we need him to fight on behalf of his constituents!
Just some of the reasons we oppose Hagel are:
- Hagel would be our first “anti-military” Secretary of Defense.
- He has consistently declared that he believes in a “pared down” Pentagon.
- He voted no on a measure requiring separate barracks for men and women during basic military training.
- Hagel refuses to comply with Senators’ requests for information about his personal finances.
- He is a director of an elitist globalist movement called “Global Zero,” which advocates full-scale nuclear disarmament, a philosophy President Obama agrees with. This is especially dangerous at a time when North Korea is testing nuclear missiles.
- Hagel serves on the board of the Ploughshares Fund, a George Soros-funded group that advocates getting rid of our nuclear weapons, opposes U.S. development of a missile-defense system, and promotes global governance.
- Hagel believes that a U.S. missile defense system should only be deployed with the cooperation of Russia; he does not consider such cooperation from Russia as important when it comes to reducing nuclear weapons. He has called for “sharply reducing the number of U.S. nuclear weapons, possibly without equivalent cuts by Russia,” according to the Associated Press.
- While Hagel wants to pare down the U.S. military and voted for legislation that is detrimental to U.S. military readiness, according to his nomination questionnaires, he advocates that the U.S. and the U.S. military have much more involvement with the United Nations. In his 2008 book, America: Our Next Chapter, Hagel wrote:
The United Nations can play a central and critical role in forging connections. The global challenges of terrorism, proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, hunger, disease, and poverty require multilateral responses and initiatives. The United States should therefore take every opportunity to help strengthen global institutions and alliances, including the UN…. No international conflict is simple or easy to deal with, but each requires attention and the United Nations is the only international organization that can help bring the consensus that is indispensable in finding solutions and resolving crises.
- Hagel’s internationalist philosophy also led him to support the discredited Law of the Sea Treaty which would diminish U.S. sovereignty, and amnesty for illegal aliens which weakens national security.
Chuck Hagel is a threat to America’s strength and safety, and his nomination must be defeated.
We need you to keep up pressure on your Senators whether they are conservative or liberal — all need to hear from you! Please take a moment to e-mail, tweet and call Senator Shelby and urge him to take a stand against Hagel. His office numbers are below:
Washington D.C. office: 202-224-5744
Huntsville office: 256-772-0460
Birmingham office: 205-731-1384
Tuscaloosa office: 205-759-5047
Montgomery office: 334-223-7303
Mobile office: 251-694-4164
And his twitter handle is @richardshelby
- The Wrong Man for Defense Secretary, Phyllis Schlafly, February 6, 2013
- The wrong man to be defense secretary, by Senator Jim Inhofe, January 25, 2013
- Press Release Announcing Opposition to Hagel Nomination, by Senator Jim Inhofe, January 15, 2013
- Chuck Hagel’s Troubling ‘Global Zero’ Nuclear Arms Stance, by Peter Huessy, January 15, 2013
- Hagel hearings should focus on Pentagon mission, by Elaine Donnelly, January 14, 2013
- Senators voice concerns on Hagel’s Global Zero anti-nuclear views, by Bill Gertz, January 10, 2013