Wisconsin: Calls Needed to Oppose “Common Core”
March 26, 2013
Dear Wisconsin Friend,
Our representatives in Madison need to hear your concerns about nationalizing education standards in the United States by states adopting the “Common Core” standards. We do not want our children to be “common.”
Please contact members of the Education Committee on the House and the Senate side. You can use the Call Guide below to help you. Contact information for the Education Committee is below the Guide.
Common Core Telephone Call Guide
When calling your legislator, do not be concerned about whether or not you get everything said “just right.” It will be more effective if it does not sound “canned.” The biggest factor will be the volume of calls which translates into votes for or against the legislator. Call early and call often. Always call your own legislator and any others you have time for.
Use the following as a guide and keep your calls short and to the point. You will most likely talk to a legislative aide. Offer to provide detailed documentation for the legislator if they are interested and someone to meet with them at their convenience. No, not you. That would be too scary. Someone. Have some fun and know that this is important.
When someone answers:
“Hello, this is _____________, and I’m concerned about our state’s education programs. I am a voter in the __________District and I object to the Common Core State Standards being dictated by the Federal Government Department of Education.”
“What is ______________’s position on this?” (If against Common Core, (not likely), encourage and support. Most likely, they will be unaware or in favor out of ignorance. If so, then…)
“I will explain VERY briefly why I am against implementing Common Core Standards.
- It is big government, top down, control of schooling, (training not educating), that sacrifices individualism for the sake of the collective
- Local school boards have zero control of content, even though it is billed as “voluntary”
- It is a usurpation of rights reserved for the states
- Costs are estimated to be $16 billion with 90% paid by the states and we have NO say in what’s being taught
- The data tracking requirement from K through Career is an intrusive violation of the privacy rights of our children and their parents
- It is a deliberate dumbing down of our children as shown by performance scores that have steadily deteriorated since the inception of the Department of Education
- Standards are so low that 2 Ph.D.’s serving on the committee refused to sign off
- Always be cordial and pleasant, “smile while you dial.”
- Always thank them for listening and assure them that you or someone else will follow up.
- This WILL be an issue at many District caucuses and WILL be a resolution at State convention.
Members of the Education Committee – House
Representative Fred Clark – 81st Assembly District (608) 266-7746
Representative Dianne Hesselbein – 79th Assembly District (608) 266-5340
Representative John Jagler (Vice-Chair) – 37th Assembly District (608) 266-9650
Representative Steve Kestell (Chair) – 27th Assembly District (608) 266-8530
Representative Howard Marklein – 51st Assembly District (608) 266-7502
Representative Stephen Nass – 33rd Assembly District (608) 266-5715
Representative Sondy Pope – 80th Assembly District (608) 266-3520
Representative Don Pridemore – 22nd Assembly District (608) 267-2367
Representative Erik Severson – 28th Assembly District (608) 267-2365
Representative Jeremy Thiesfeldt – 52nd Assembly District (608) 266-3156
Representative Mandy Wright – 85th Assembly District (608) 266-0654
Email: Rep.Clark@legis.wisconsin.gov, Rep.Hesselbein@legis.wisconsin.gov, Rep.Jagler@legis.wisconsin.gov, Rep.Kestell@legis.wisconsin.gov Rep.Marklein@legis.wisconsin.gov, Rep.Nass@legis.wisconsin.gov, Rep.Pope@legis.wisconsin.gov, Rep.Pridemore@legis.wisconsin.gov, Rep.Severson@legis.wisconsin.gov, Rep.Thiesfeldt@legis.wisconsin.gov, Rep.Wright@legis.wisconsin.gov,
Members of the Education Committee – Senate
Senator Timothy Cullen – 15th Senate District (608) 266-2253
Senator Alberta Darling – 8th Senate District (608) 266-5830
Senator Paul Farrow (Vice-Chair) – 33rd Senate District (608) 266-9174
Senator Richard Gudex – 18th Senate District (608) 266-5300
Senator Nikiya Harris – 6th Senate District (608) 266-2500
Senator John Lehman – 21st Senate District (608) 266-1832
Senator Luther Olsen (Chair) – 14th Senate District (608) 266-0751
Senator Kathleen Vinehout – 31st Senate District (608) 266-8546
Senator Leah Vukmir – 5th Senate District (608) 266-2512
Email: Sen.Cullen@legis.wisconsin.gov, Sen.Darling@legis.wisconsin.gov, Sen.Farrow@legis.wisconsin.gov, Sen.Gudex@legis.wisconsin.gov, Sen.Harris@legis.wisconsin.gov, Sen.Lehman@legis.wisconsin.gov, Sen.Olsen@legis.wisconsin.gov, Sen.Vinehout@legis.wisconsin.gov, Sen.Vukmir@legis.wisconsin.gov